Antique Print-ASHBURNHAM PLACE-PARK-SUSSEX-Duncannon-Watts-1779

Price: € 52,50

Subject: Antique print, titled: 'Ashburnham Park in Sussex, the seat of Earl of Ashburnham.' - Ashburnham Place and the surrounding park, five miles west of Battle, Sussex.
Condition: Very good, given age. General age related toning and foxing, mostly not affecting image. Occasional light stains. Slightly uneven at the left side of the margin from binding. Small fold in the left downcorner of the margin. General age-related toning and/or occasional minor defects from handling. Please study scan carefully.
Medium: Etching and engraving on hand laid (verge) paper.
Size (in cm): The overall size is ca. 26.9 x 20.3 cm. The image size is ca. 20.2 x 15.3 cm.
Size (in inch): The overall size is ca. 10.6 x 8 inch. The image size is ca. 8 x 6 inch.
Part Number: 60579
Location: C187-17
Description: This original antique print originates from: 'The seats of the Nobility and Gentry. In a Collection of the most interesting & picturesque views ....', by W. Watts, published in Chelsea, 1779

Artists and Engravers: Made by 'W. Watts' after 'Lord Duncannon'. William Watts (1752-1851), a line-engraver, was the son of a master silk weaver in Moorfields. He received his art training from Paul Sandby and Edward Rooker, and on the death of the latter in 1774 he continued the 'Copper-plate Magazine,' commenced by him, and published a number of engravings of country seats after Sandby. His own 'Seats of the Nobility and Gentry,' a series of eighty-four plates, followed in 1779-86. He was keenly interested in the French revolution, and went to Paris in 1793, where some of his views of English country seats were engraved in colours by Laurent Guyot. He invested most of the property which he had inherited from his father, with his own earnings, in the French funds, and the whole was confiscated, though he recovered a portion at the peace in 1815. His loss compelled him to return to the practice of his profession. In 1814 he purchased a small property at Cobham, Surrey, where he died on 7 Dec. 1851, after having been blind for some years, within a few months of his hundredth birthday.